Subject teachers and Guidance Counsellors provide academic assistance and guidance to all students. Students with a formal identification will receive support through Learning Services as detailed in their Individual Education Plan (IEP). Some students who are not formally identified may receive additional support through the Student Success Program.
The Student Success Program provides academic support and mentoring to non-identified students as they progress through their secondary school years. Student Success teachers are available to support our current Holy Cross students, as well as Grade 8 students coming to our school. The Ministry of Education has identified criteria for receiving Student Success support.
These include, but are not limited to:
- Elementary students who are performing at level 1 or below;
- Recommendation by their Grade 8 teacher (with parental permission);
- Recommendation by the the Guidance Counsellor or Student Success Team;
- Secondary students who have studied at the modified or locally developed level;
- Secondary students who are performing significantly below level 3 (the provincial standard);
- Any student who is disengaged or who has poor attendance;
- Secondary students not accumulating credits at a pace that will graduate them with their peers;
- Students who are deemed to be at-risk or in-risk situations; or
- Request by parent.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this transition, please contact your child's current classroom teacher. Thank you for your assistance.
The Student Success Program provides a quiet work space that is free of distractions where students can catch up on missed assignments or write tests. The Student Success Teacher (SST) provides individual academic support when appropriate. In addition, the SST will help students to develop their:
- Study skills
- Organizational skills
- Self-advocacy skills
- Involvement in school teams/clubs
Our Student Success teachers work out of Room 119 and are as follows:
Semester 1 - Period 3-6: Mrs.Tedesco
Semester 2 - Period 1 Mrs. Tedesco